Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Evaluation of the lavender bag

The lavender bag is now finished and I am going to evaluate it now.

These are some close ups of the lavender bag.


finished product

back of my bag

top right corner of the back of my bag

the bottom right corner of the back of my bag

bottom right corner of the front of my bag

close up of the front of the bag

Top of the bag

the top of the front of the bag

bottom left of the back of the bag

top left corner of the back of the bag

top right corner of the front of my bag

top left of the front of my lavender bag

bottom left corner of the front of my bag

How can I test my solution?
I can test my solution by:
• I could test against the specifications
• I could ask my client what he liked or disliked about it
• I could have a survey about it
• I could ask other people about it
• I could shake it to see if lavender comes out
• I could have a smell test
I chose to ask others and ask the client.
I also tested it against the specifications.

It did meet all of my success criterion/design specifications.




  • it should not be bigger than about half an a4 sheet of paper - yes
  • it should have a regular rectangular shape - yes
  • I must use at least 3 techniques I have learned -  I used 7, tie dye, hand embroider, machine embroidery, wax coloring, spray painting, appliqué and fabric painting
  • I must include tie dye - yes
  • I must include embroidery - yes
  • I must include machine sewing - yes
  • the bag will have an animal theme - yes
  • the bag will be made using 2 pieces sewn onto the 2 pieces for the background - yes
  • the front and the back of my bag must be tie-dyed by me - yes


  • But it did not meet my design drawing.

    The differences were - 
    • my bag's snail had lime green eyes that were supposed to black
    • the decorative dots were laid out differently
    • the shell was not painted, it was colored

    The reasons are -

  • my bag's snail had lime green eyes that were supposed to black - the was no black embroidery thread
  • the decorative dots were laid out differently - I did for a better color combination
  • the shell was not painted, it was colored - there was not orange paint

  • After I gave it to the client, I took their interview and this is what the client said - 
    • it smells good
    • the snail is good
    • the stitching could be improved
    • why is it a snail and not anything else
    • the color concept is good
    I asked one of my classmates how they thought the bag was and this is what the classmate said - 
    • it is cool
    • the hand embroidery is good and neat
    • the stitching of the snail could be improved by making it neater and narrower
    • the outside stitching could be done better because it uneven from some parts
    I asked Ms. Van Der Steege to give me feedback and this is what she said - 
    • the bag had many techniques in evolved in it
    • it was neat
    • it was colorful
    • it was very attractive
    • trimming all the small pieces of thread after made
    • the stitching could be done neater and straighter 
    • while overlapping the stitches you could overlap them even neatly
    I think that I did a good job and the sewing could be done better.
    Next time I could have done the stitching better. I could have done the snail a little better. Maybe I would try something different. I could maybe make the stitching of the snail more dense and narrow. I could carefully cut the extra pieces of thread. I could for the border stitching keep the stitches even from the edges by drawing out the lines to stitch on.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment